Multiple best times and two club records from our three girls swimming in the Scottish Open Nationals with the Munster Squad!
Despite being in the middle of heavy training for the Irish Summer Nationals, our three elite swimmers Anna Feenan, Ellen Lee and Beth Nolan performed very well at the Scottish Open Nationals last weekend. In this long course meet Anna had two PBs in the 100m F/c and 200 IM, Ellen improved her PBs in four events (100m F/c, 50m & 100m B/c, 100m Fly), while Beth had six PBs (50m F/c, 50m B/c, 50m & 200m Br/s, 50m & 100m Fly). In the Breast stroke events Beth broke two club records-the 50m which had been held for a decade by Lorna Cummins and her own 200m record set in January. In the latter event Beth also qualified for the B final in this highly competitive Open meet. Well done girls!
SWSC ran their Michael Bowles Invitational meet last weekend, a few months later than in recent years so the Level 3 competition could serve as a last chance to qualify for the Swim Ireland Division 2 championships.
- Sunday’s Well, with a team of 74 swimmers of all ages from nine to 49, retained the overall trophy that they have won every year for the last decade!
- Twenty two swimmers won their events (detailed below) and the club won four of seven relays!
- In some outstanding swims, Lauren Farr set three Munster records in the 200B/c (2:26.88), 200Fly (2:36.13) and 200IM (2:31.26)!
- There was a huge number of Personal Bests as is obvious from the detailed results (which can be viewed elsewhere on this website), also very many second and third places and point scoring placings!
Summarising the 22 gold medal winners:
- Lauran Farr 13-14 200 back & fly;
- Andrew Feenan 17+ 50, 100 & 200 Br/s, 100 & 200 IM (Five Golds and a great 200 Br/s);
- Anna Feenan 15-16 100 IM;
- Michael Feenan 15-16 200 Br/s;
- Sinead Gallagher 10-12 200 F/c;
- Marc Galland 13-14 100 F/c & Br/s, 200 B/c & Fly;
- Paul Higgins 15-16 50 Fly & 100 IM (in the middle of his Junior Cert);
- Peter Higgins 17+ 50 F/c:
- Ellen Lee 13-14 100 F/c, B/c & Fly, 400 F/c;
- Rory Lee 17+ 200 F/c (one of the swims of the meet!);
- Drew Lynch 15-16 50 F/c, 200 IM;
- Grace Lynch 15-16 800 & 1500 F/c;
- Matilda Lyons 10-12 200 B/c;
- Ross McAuliffe 17+ 50 B/c (also won this event and the 100 B/c at the Celtic Universities International);
- Shauna Murphy 10-12 400 IM;
- Beth Nolan 17+ 100 F/c, 50, 100 & 200 B/c, 50 & 10 Br/s, 50 Fly, 100 IM (seven golds-highest in meet!);
- Lorraine O’Donovan 17+ 200 F/c;
- Michael O’Driscoll 13-14 800 F/c;
- Aoife O’Shea 15-16 100 & 200 B/c, 200 Br/s, 400 IM;
- Luke O’Sullivan 17+ 100 F/c, B/c & Fly (fastest 100 F/c of meet);
- Antonina Sech 10-12 100 B/c, Fly & IM, 290 Br/s & IM, 400 IM (six golds); Sean Semchiy 10-12 200 B/c.
Overall a great showing by the club thanks to the swimmers, parents and Richard Cassidy and his team of coaches and teachers.
- Elsewhere our Olympic-possible para athlete Sean O’Riordan set a PB for the 100 F/c at a World Cup para event in Berlin!
Tom Cross, President for SWSC Committee
Please note that the gala starting time has changed to 10:00.
There is a Level 1 Assistant Swimming Teacher course taking place in Mayfield Co. Cork. This will commence on Friday 21st June 2019.
Level 1 Assistant Swimming Teacher:
This course is designed for anyone who is interested in starting a career as a Swim Ireland Level 1 Assistant Swimming Teacher or wants to assist a Swim Ireland level 2 Swimming Teacher.
Successful completion of the course will qualify you to become a Swim Ireland Level 1 Assistant Swimming Teacher which enables you to actively support a qualified Swimming Teacher in the delivery of a pre-prepared session.
You must be at least 15 years of age by the start of the course. Hold a valid Safeguarding certificate and have completed Swim Ireland vetting.
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification although we strongly recommend that you have current knowledge and some practical experience of assisting with swimming lessons.
*Please read carefully through the other details on the page so you know what this course entails.*
Course Duration: 30 hours
Breakdown of hours: Blended
20 Hours Theory
10 Hours Practical (6 of which are lessons)
Dates and start times for face to face course days:
- Friday the 21st of June 2019 – 6.30am – 21.00pm (1 hour practical)
- Saturday the 22nd of June 2019 9am – 5pm (3 hours practical)
- Sunday the 23rd of June 2019 – 9am – 5pm (3 hours practical)
- Saturday the 29th of June 2019 – 9am – 5pm (3 hours practical)
- Sunday the 30th of June 2019 – 9am – 5pm (2 Hours practical)
Course Tutor: Eileen Hempel
Cost: €450 (exclusive of credit/debit card payment surcharge of 2%)
Best of luck to all our swimmers sitting their Junior or Leaving Certificate exams tomorrow.
The Munster Regional management Committee have agreed to provide financial support for all regional club members who wish to undertake the Swim Ireland Blended Level 2 Coaching Award. This support will be valued at 25% of the current course fee and will be subject to the following conditions:
· All candidates must be current members of a Munster Region Swimming Club.
· Those receiving support must attend and assist at two full Regional Squad days under the direction of the appointed head coach.
· The agreed subsidy will only be paid on completion of the Level 2 Coaching course and after assisting on the two agreed squad days.
· The rate of financial support will be reviewed on an annual basis in line with annual budgets.
· Applications for financial support must be made in writing to the Honorary Regional Secretary in advance of the course closing date.