Multiple best times and two club records from our three girls swimming in the Scottish Open Nationals with the Munster Squad!
Despite being in the middle of heavy training for the Irish Summer Nationals, our three elite swimmers Anna Feenan, Ellen Lee and Beth Nolan performed very well at the Scottish Open Nationals last weekend. In this long course meet Anna had two PBs in the 100m F/c and 200 IM, Ellen improved her PBs in four events (100m F/c, 50m & 100m B/c, 100m Fly), while Beth had six PBs (50m F/c, 50m B/c, 50m & 200m Br/s, 50m & 100m Fly). In the Breast stroke events Beth broke two club records-the 50m which had been held for a decade by Lorna Cummins and her own 200m record set in January. In the latter event Beth also qualified for the B final in this highly competitive Open meet. Well done girls!
SWSC ran their Michael Bowles Invitational meet last weekend, a few months later than in recent years so the Level 3 competition could serve as a last chance to qualify for the Swim Ireland Division 2 championships.
- Sunday’s Well, with a team of 74 swimmers of all ages from nine to 49, retained the overall trophy that they have won every year for the last decade!
- Twenty two swimmers won their events (detailed below) and the club won four of seven relays!
- In some outstanding swims, Lauren Farr set three Munster records in the 200B/c (2:26.88), 200Fly (2:36.13) and 200IM (2:31.26)!
- There was a huge number of Personal Bests as is obvious from the detailed results (which can be viewed elsewhere on this website), also very many second and third places and point scoring placings!
Summarising the 22 gold medal winners:
- Lauran Farr 13-14 200 back & fly;
- Andrew Feenan 17+ 50, 100 & 200 Br/s, 100 & 200 IM (Five Golds and a great 200 Br/s);
- Anna Feenan 15-16 100 IM;
- Michael Feenan 15-16 200 Br/s;
- Sinead Gallagher 10-12 200 F/c;
- Marc Galland 13-14 100 F/c & Br/s, 200 B/c & Fly;
- Paul Higgins 15-16 50 Fly & 100 IM (in the middle of his Junior Cert);
- Peter Higgins 17+ 50 F/c:
- Ellen Lee 13-14 100 F/c, B/c & Fly, 400 F/c;
- Rory Lee 17+ 200 F/c (one of the swims of the meet!);
- Drew Lynch 15-16 50 F/c, 200 IM;
- Grace Lynch 15-16 800 & 1500 F/c;
- Matilda Lyons 10-12 200 B/c;
- Ross McAuliffe 17+ 50 B/c (also won this event and the 100 B/c at the Celtic Universities International);
- Shauna Murphy 10-12 400 IM;
- Beth Nolan 17+ 100 F/c, 50, 100 & 200 B/c, 50 & 10 Br/s, 50 Fly, 100 IM (seven golds-highest in meet!);
- Lorraine O’Donovan 17+ 200 F/c;
- Michael O’Driscoll 13-14 800 F/c;
- Aoife O’Shea 15-16 100 & 200 B/c, 200 Br/s, 400 IM;
- Luke O’Sullivan 17+ 100 F/c, B/c & Fly (fastest 100 F/c of meet);
- Antonina Sech 10-12 100 B/c, Fly & IM, 290 Br/s & IM, 400 IM (six golds); Sean Semchiy 10-12 200 B/c.
Overall a great showing by the club thanks to the swimmers, parents and Richard Cassidy and his team of coaches and teachers.
- Elsewhere our Olympic-possible para athlete Sean O’Riordan set a PB for the 100 F/c at a World Cup para event in Berlin!
Tom Cross, President for SWSC Committee
Please note that the gala starting time has changed to 10:00.